Friday, September 2, 2011

Shaker Village in Mercer County, KY

I have a bit of additional information concerning the Champion family involvement with the Shaker Community in Mercer County, Kentucky.  I've learned that Mary Champion, an older sister of my great great grandfather, James Champion, joined the Shaker community in 1817 and remained a member until her death in 1829.  I've also confirmed that James Champion's mother-in-law, Elizabeth Cannon, joined the community in 1815 and remained a member until her death in 1822.  Christina Cannon also joined the community in 1815.  I believe Christina was the wife of Thomas Cannon, a brother of Mary Polly (Cannon) Champion.

I also learned that the "Champion Farm" was originally located near or possibly even adjoining the original Shakertown property.  I am speculating that it was owned by John Champion, my great great great grandfather.

Carl Champion, a third cousin once removed of mine from Tell City, Indiana, has told me about a Champion Cemetery in Mercer County near Shakertown.  It isn't on a road.  To reach it, you must walk a distance across a field.  Carl indicated that he didn't know the owner of the field and decided not to make the walk.  Lari, a lady who works in the library at Shaker Village, confirmed the general location of the cemetery and indicated that she was there many years ago.  Incidentally, the cemetery is not listed in the Find-A-Grave website.  If anyone in the family who live in that area and are willing to scout it out and take photos of gravestones, I would be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment